Monday, June 29, 2009

Yesterday's Sunset

Good evening my dear friends!!!

It is SUCH a gorgeous evening, I decided to take a bit of time and lay on the hammock, read my latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine, and listen to some Kenny G as I watch the sun set.

Look how beautiful it is:


Now...if I only had my sister's wide angle lens....?! (I couldn't help it-this was just such a beautiful sunset)

While Chris is off gallivanting across the skies with a student, I am enjoying a quiet evening at home. I have gotten to enjoy one of the most wonderful and memorable weeks in a long time.

As many of you know, this past week was the annual Air Race Classic competition. We had a team from K-State Salina compete. While they did not win the race, they did well. They ended up 19 out of 32 teams and 5th out of 7 collegiate teams. I am SO proud of them!

Not only did they get the opportunity of a lifetime, they gained valuable friendships and experiences that will forever change the way they fly. Air racing to me has been the pivot point of my aviation career, where I learned the most about both myself as a pilot and gained the confidence I needed as an instructor (and those of you who have instructed know that each flight with a student is an adventure!). I had countless memories and good times. Each one of them is priceless and has helped mold me into the pilot I am today.

This post is just a small tribute to the countless air racers across history, starting way back with the first “poweder puff derby” through 2009.

Thanks especially to the person who first inspired me to race, Carole Dawson.

Additionally, many thanks to the air race ladies from 2006 who helped make my first race so memorable. I have and will always hold a special place in my heart for the air race, those that competed, and the countless individuals that helped along the way.

So this evening as I fall asleep, I will be dreaming of my next race and also for a safe return to all those that raced this year.

No comments: