Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We are OK

Hello Again!

Today marks yet another day in aviation history. I have gotten a few phone calls inquiring about both Chris and my safety today. Thank you to all who are thinking of us today.

For those of you who don't read aviation news regularly, below are 2 websites that briefly highlight the unfortunate events:

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=B8D69F0C-6C5F-4F8B-BF5E-84A8D901C5B0&gsa=true

**Basic sum up: multi engine aircraft crashed on way to lawrence from the KC downtown airport. 2 aboard, no survivors

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=923afa2e-dcc8-4ffb-90ae-d9443615256c

**Basic sum up: single engine aircraft crashed just after take off from the OJC airport, where I work. 1 aboard, survived

The eerie thing about the 2nd incident is that I was at the airport about the time this was happening. I was on the ground, getting ready to leave when I heard sirons-around 3:15-3:30pm. My though was "hmm...that's awefully early for an evening traffic jam/accident" and I promptly dismissed the thought, as everything looked normal at the airport. When I got home, I heard otherwise.

I guess these just make me realize just how precious time is. I can't count the amount of times that I have told my students to be safe, keep a safe airspeed(aka flight speed for you non pilots!), watch the angle of bank...or even my most famous question/game: What are you going to do WHEN your engine fails? aka-the "pick a field game."

I am thankful for the training and good advice I have received over the years from friends and experienced pilots. Experience is just something that you can't buy-but have to learn. Sometimes my students joke with me when we get back and say, "well, we escaped the grips of death yet again...we made it safely home." I chuckle, thinking-yeah-what else did you expect?! I love living and can't imagine not making it home.

I guarantee you, the next time I give my students a practice engine failure, I will be saying a prayer for all pilots out there, hoping that when it happens, they will be prepared and use the safety skills they have gained through their training.

God Speed, and safe flying to all.

1 comment:

.Scott said...

Wow, it's amazing that all of this has been happening. I feel so out of the loop these days. How are you guys holding up? I can't imagine things are going too fantastic with aviation right now, especially with fuel doing what it's doing. Anyway, keep in touch, and thanks for reading the ol' blog!