Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Professor Laws...in the library...with the books

Haha...Professor Laws does have a nice ring to it, doesn't it!?

Last night I went to the Oklahoma State University Library to get some books for a paper I'm writing. I know it's sad, but I haven't been to the library since I left Kansas City. So what? I'm not much of a book worm...but I appreciate the knowledge I gain when I do read.

Anyway, I went to the library on a mission. I needed some books to write a leadership paper for class. In the usual Robin style, I ask the first knowledgeable person I saw where to start. They directed me to the computer system to look up books and assisted me in finding some documents that might be useful in my paper. I always feel silly asking for help, as sometimes I'm sure they are thinking..."you can fly a plane, but not find a simple book?!" But I don't care. I am always willing to ask for help...besides...they are getting paid to be there, so they might as well be helping a person like me and feel they have earned their wages, right? : ) I always thought that once you have the reference number for a book, it is somewhat easy to find, even if it is written in some cryptic code. Maybe some day I will master the library system. Until then, I will continue to ask my friends at the library for assistance. : D

I left the library just in time. There was a storm moving through the area last night. It produced a shower of hail, followed by LOTS of rain. I'm glad that the company we rent our house from had the siding re-done and resealed the windows. We stayed nice and dry.

PS: I was discussing my library encounter with a coworker this morning. She suggested I take a library tour. Who does that?! Aisle after Aisle, there are books....what is there to see?! haha...but then again...I did go to space camp...who does that!?

4 comments:

richlibrarian said...

take it from me...a librarian.

1.always ask
2.tours are good for learning what the library has and where
3.never be afraid to walk up to the person at the counter even if they look "busy"
4.there are very few silly questions.

Robin said...

haha...thanks! I like the advice : D

Unknown said...

and to think, your own MOTHER was a librarian in her younger days. what has this world come to? ;)

Robin said...

what can i say...i get her good looks, but not the librarian gene : (