Saturday, June 16, 2012

House Projects

So.....This past December, we painted the upstairs living room a green, khaki, brown combo. It ended up looking great, plus gave the room (all khaki) good dimension and that "homey" feeling I was looking for.

This spring....it's time to prep for the new baby...so....we are going to move Theodore into his own room for his 2nd birthday this August. That means a big boy bed (twin with those side rail thingies), organizing the closet, getting new storage-or other, etc.

SO....I posed the question to my Facebook friends: how do YOU organize your kiddo closets?

I got lots of responses....everything from hang the clothes to use drawers to we have NO IDEA!
My sister, Karen, found a rockin ikea desk/shelf combo that she uses for my cute nephew's room. It is more money than we want to spend right now, so I have had my eyes open for a desk at garage sales. The idea is that when kiddo has outgrown the "diaper" phase of life, there will be no need for a changing table. YUP....but--we have a kiddo on the way....so right now, we have two of those cube-shelf thingies from Target put together with a changing pad on top. It works great for a changing table, but we don't use all the shelves very effectively. SO-a friend suggested I take the cubey shelf thingies and put them in Theodore's new room closet for shelving. OOH, I LIKE IT! BUT......

What about a changing table? So that's where my sister comes in. We like the idea of using a desk and then building up a platform like my dad did for her to bring the "desk" height up to waist height. Awesome! SO....I found an affordable desk....and things are in the works. Hoping to be done and have some pictures up by August.

Also....Paint colors....

We want to go with something neutral-so we tossed around the ideas:
orange, yellow, green, gray...........something somewhat "gender neutral"

We ended up choosing a gray room with a yellow closet. Odd? perhaps....but we like it. Today we are going to start the process of priming, hoping to paint later tonight and tomorrow-but we will see how far we get.

I have already repainted a dresser which I aquired from my parents. In fact, I do believe it was MY childhood dresser! It needed a round of white paint, and now looks new. I can't wait to see it all come together! Chris isn't nearly as excited as myself-and Theo--well, he has really no idea what's going on with this other room. He just keeps saying "mama-paint-wall". haha, yes--we are going to paint Teddy!!

Well, pictures to come....and hopefully more updates as well! (no promises on when pics....since my least favorite thing to do is download and upload them from the camera ! but eventually......!!!)

No comments: