Monday, June 14, 2010

Weekend Visitor

On Friday, I received a call from my mother-in-law, Carol, that she was thinking about coming to Wichita for the weekend. "Oh" I said, "what for?" (not that she really needs a reason, but I figured that she didn't just want to hop in the car for 4.5 hours just for fun!) She has a friend whose mother was in the hospital and she was thinking about coming to be supportive and also to see Theresa and I, so she was wondering if she would have a place to stay. OF COURSE! There is always space!!)She decided to come and arrived late Friday night.

As you can see from my previous post about cooking on Saturday, I had plenty to do while she was visiting her friend at the hospital.

Also, Saturday afternoon I was fortunate enough to have a bed delivered! We are "borrowing" a bed from one of my good friends. Conveniently, she had a queen sized bed sitting in her garage taking up space. She mentioned to me awhile back that she was thinking they might need a place to store it. I was like, convenient-we would LOVE to store it for you-in our basement-and even put it to use as a guest bed! So, after discovering that I would have a weekend guest, I arranged to have her drop off the bed sometime on Saturday-at her leisure-so that my mother-in-law would have a nice place to sleep (and not have to sleep on the air mattresses when she comes to visit). When my friend and the bed showed up, I could not have been happier. It looks fantastic, and I'm glad to do her a favor (and she has NO idea what a favor she is doing us!)So, whenever she wants it back, I suppose we will be without a guest bed again, but then again-it sounds like it could be a good 6+ months before that happens.(yay!)

When Carol came back to the house that evening, I was excited to show her the new sleeping arrangement. (I think she was excited too) My parents were just finishing up church about the same time-as my brother had an event Saturday evening on the West side, so they swung by the house to visit and for coffee before the event started. They liked the new set up in the basement too. After they left, Carol and I had a quick dinner and decided to watch a movie. We were going to go to the theater, but there was not much that looked interesting or had a good showtime for us to see, so we opted to stay in. We had a good time. We made "real" popcorn out of one of those pop-corn makers and enjoyed just sitting on the couch and chatting as we watched a movie we had both seen that happened to be on TV.

Sunday morning we had waffles with fruit. (one of my personal favorite breakfasts! There used to be a place in Wichita called the Garden Cafe which served breakfast, lunch and dinner--and was known for their delicious deserts. This restaurant had one thing on the menue called the "Grand floridian" which was a Belgium Waffle topped high with fruit and whipped cream. DELICOUS! So, we made our own floridian waffles and they were sure delicious.)

After breakfast, I finished some cooking and decided to relax. What a nice weekend. Visitor, good food, and relaxation. Now that I have that relaxation thing out of the way, time to find my way through a few more boxes...(and find that quilt I need to finish...! Maybe that will be next weekend's project. PS: Clint, don't get your hopes up-I hate to dissappoint again... I know Christmas was a good 6 months ago...!)

To top off the evening, we had dinner at Olive Garden, one of my favorites-and best of all, Chris made it home safely. What a fun, blessed weekend.

No comments: